Chevrolet has revamped their mid-sized Malibu sedan while keeping handling, comfort and fuel economy in mind. Taking exterior design cues from the Camaro and efficient aerodynamics from the Volt, the 2.5L four-cylinder engine six-speed automatic powers it along for a quieter, smoother ride. Beefier than previous versions, this Malibu sports a tightly designed exterior that competes with the sharpness of the Hyundai Sonata. The most impressive aspect of the Malibu, especially in light of current escalating gas prices, is the fuel efficiency; the design is not just about aesthetics as it significantly reduces wind drag – nearly 60 points – compared to the previous model.
Safety features are enhanced with driver and passenger front, side, and knee airbags as well as roof rail air bags, available rear-view camera system, and an On-Star package that includes Automatic Crash Response and Stolen Vehicle Slowdown.
The interior is surprisingly upscale with comfortable two-tone stitched seats. A tactile soft-touch dash stylishly curves around below the A-pillar while incorporating instrument panels and Chevrolet MyLink. The MyLink system safely integrates driving experience with online connectivity for streaming music or wireless use of smartphone with Bluetooth hands-free technology. The Malibu LTZ that is on the show floor sported attractive wood accents on the steering wheel, dash and doors.
Chevrolet has increased the interior cabin space by around 4 cubic feet which translates to a comfortable level of room and mobility for my 5’8″ frame, with no squeezing getting in and out of the doors. The back seat can get a little tight for adults with the front seats pushed all the way back.
There are three trim levels for this version – the LS, LT, and LTZ. The red Malibu shown is the LTZ.
The 2013 Chevrolet Malibu with be on sale in the United States in 2012.
Product highlights for North American models include:
- All-new, fuel-efficient and powerful 2.5L four-cylinder engine and next-generation six-speed automatic that lead Malibu’s powertrain lineup
- Expressive exterior design with a wide, athletic stance
- Segment-best aerodynamics – close to those of the Chevrolet Volt extended-range electric car – that enhance fuel efficiency and reduce wind noise, including active electronic shutters on select models
- All-new, Chevrolet-signature dual-cockpit interior that is more spacious, features premium materials and is engineered to be the quietest in the midsize segment
- New Chevrolet MyLink connectivity seamlessly integrates online services like Pandora® internet radio and
- Stitcher SmartRadio®
- European-influenced ride and handling traits
- New safety features and technologies including 10 air bags, ultra-high-strength steel, lane departure warning/forward collision warning and rearview camera system
(Continued on page 2)
Pages: 1 2